11.17.2010

a healthier way to use your scentsy

I was unpleasantly surprised to learn about just how bad and toxic scented candles, room fresheners, etc. were.  When I did, I went through my house emptying it of anything scented. It was a sad, sad day.  I love scents, like most people (women particularly) and to see all of my beautifully scented items just laying in the trashcan was just depressing.  I thought I'd never have a nice smell to welcome me home again.  Many months of normal house smells finally got me to thinking maybe I should try to come up with my own little scent thing to fragrance my home, naturally, of course!

At my local farmer's market this summer a friend and I split a huge bar of beeswax.  At the time I didn't have any specific plan for it, just thought it was cool.  $3.00 later I have beeswax sitting in my cupboard for about 4 months.  Then one day, I was baking something that called for vanilla extract.  I opened that bottle and nearly got my nose stuck in it trying to get every last scent droplet!  It smelled so amazing, like I had never smelled vanilla before.  It was a lovely few moments for me, quite confusing for Adisynne, though.  She was quite baffled by my sudden obsession with vanilla.  At that moment a rush of ideas filled my head.  I saw the beeswax, the vanilla, the coconut oil, the cinnamon and it all came together so beautifully...in my head.  I was inspired to try it out in real life.

I scooped out some coconut oil, chiseled off some beeswax (seriously, that stuff is TOUGH!), splashed on some vanilla, and dumped in cinnamon - all into the top of my scentsy.  I flipped on the switch and in just moments the sweet smell of vanilla and cinnamon filled my dining room.  It wasn't a potent enough concoction to fill my whole living room/dining room/kitchen  which makes up for about 1,000 sq. ft. of our 2,000 sq. ft. house.  For that kind of aromatic potency I think I will have to turn to essential oils.  That's my next endeavor.  I will pick up some sweet orange or some other lovely essential oil at HEB next time and give it a whirl.  

The nice thing was there was a scent filling my house other than the smell of my house.  I liked that.  I also liked that I wasn't inadvertently poisoning myself and family buy melting a traditional scented wax.  The other nice thing was that this experiment was basically free.  I had all the stuff right there in my cabinets, just had to put them together.

A rough recipe:

1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
2 tablespoons beeswax
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

My next recipe will look like this:

1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
2 tablespoons beeswax
1 teaspoon cinnamon (with Sweet Orange I will use  1/2 teaspoon nutmeg I think)
3 drops essential oil (or more)

13 comments:

  1. You can also do an orange that you spike with cloves--very nice for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're saying...I cant use any commercial fragrance product b/c I'm so sensitive to the stuff they put in them. I can't even walk into Bath and Body without getting a headache. I now use my scentsy for essential oils, which I absolutely LOVE!! I've never thought of putting beeswax in it though, thats a good idea. I just use almond or coconut oil with a few drops of whatever essential oil. I tried just water at first but it evaporated too fast and burned the bottom of my scentsy. The almond oil seems to last for a long time, which saves money since its pretty inexpensive. Its fun coming up with your own blends-I love using cinnamon and cloves, or lavender and peppermint. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! i was just googling scentsy to see if their products contain beeswax or if they used paraffin wax and your blog popped up! i love this tip btw :) i dont have a scentsy but i think you could probably do the same thing with a tealight oil diffuser. anyway, i write about a similar genre so if you want to follow my blog also heres the link..... http://beautifulbeginningsofbecomingafamily.blogspot.com/2011/02/soap-is-soap.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by and reading! I've found that I can just put some beeswax in my scentsy with some essential oil, too, and it works amazingly well. I've not had a chance to experiment a lot, but I hope to do some more of it with diffusers soon.

    Thanks for the link to your blog. I've been there a few times now. Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I had no idea that commercial scents were so bad for you. I never really thought about it since it isn't something we ingest. I do love using natural oils and essential oil scents in my bath... now i just need to incorporate them in my other rooms. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, they're pretty bad. I just use essential oils now. I have a blog post that needs to be posted about other room sprays and fresheners. You are welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know you can warm Vicks for when you have a cold?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, good to know someone has tried this ;)
    I actually Googled "using coconut oil in a Scentsy" and it brought me to your blog ;) I am into natural products and know the dangers of using chemical products that are made with artificial scents, and other toxins. I know that the Scentsy meltable products are probably far from the worst on the list, but anything synthetic that fills up your home with an unnatural smell, is indeed destroying indoor air quality, and that can't be healthy overall! My mom gave me her cute little Scentsy warmer to try and I got really nauseous right away, using the 2 scents she gave me. I am very sensitive to artificial fragrances, so I shouldn't have been too surprised. Realizing at that point, that I would not be ordering any products from that CO (aside from the little warmers) I thought to myself, I bet this would work well using the coconut oil on my counter and some pure essential oils. It just makes sCENTS to go the natural route ;) Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I was just googling alternatives to use in my Scentsy warmer as well and came across this site. I think the Scentsy brand gives me a headache but I do love the warmers. I'm going to try this. Thanks! Have you experimented with anything else since this last post?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chemical scents definitely give me a headache. Ugh. I hate it! I have just used carrier oils and essential oils in my scentsy. Also I've been making my own spray for the home. I use about 10 drops of any essential oil and 2 ounces of water in a spray bottle. It works so well and smells so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So excited I came across this site. I have a Scentsy on the way but was wondering if I could make my own using natural oils. Yay! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, from reading your blog and all the comment, in order to use essential oils in my scentsy I need to add a buffer, say coconut oil, beeswax, or almond oil? Just want to get this clarified before I try it. Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's how I've done it every time. YOu need a carrier to hold the oil so that it doesn't burn off quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions go here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...